Sunday, May 3, 2009

Oh, the Bow!


Now you know while I was in Calgary I couldn’t let the Bow River rest without ripping on the mouths of a few trout!
Check out our trip and short teaser of our new show Fly Nation!
bow-scenic
The Bow River at a distance.
If you’ve read my previous blog entry, you’ll know that I was in Calgary at the Bass Pro Shops opening several weeks ago.  Between the hoards of people and countless fish stories, I had to clear my mind with a little angling.
ape-bow-front-sage-smile
Ape ready to do a little angling (Josh Nugent photo).
The river was blown, but the fish were still somewhat game, so we loaded into Josh Nugent’s boat (Out Fly Fishing Outfitters  www.bowrivercanada.com) and began our long drift.
josh-boat-pic
The Clack (Josh Nugent photo).
We were alongside good friends Nick Pujic and Paul Castellano, and between the three of us, we shared a combined sleep of three hours.  Needless to say, it was a deliriously fun day.
ape-and-paul-drift
Ape and Castellano enjoying the drift (Josh Nugent photo).
Paul hooked and landed several trout, and I stupidly popped the hook out of my first monster brown (that was a sick feeling).
ape-bow-strip
Gonna get you.....
It didn’t take any of us long to realize that Josh was an unbelievable guide, as he patiently rowed out our snags, put us into fish, and made me practise my bladder control with his witty humour.
ape-and-josh-with-fly-box
Our guide Josh doubled as a comedian for the day (Paul Castellano photo).
josh-out-casting
Josh showing us how it's done (Paul Castellano photo).
It was an awesome day with some of the best people I know, and I’m chomping at the bits to get back……
ape-and-nick-wrestling
Me kicking Pujic's ass (trying to anyway)........
For more info on fishing the Bow River, contact Josh Nugent at www.bowrivercanada.com or josh@outflyfishingoutfitters.com
He is truly one of the best guides I have had the pleasure of fishing with, and I sincerely recommend him.
See you on the water,